Lastly, our house is going to get pretty interesting in about 2 weeks when I run out of my freezer stash of frozen breastmilk. I've been exclusively pumping since Greta was born and am still pumping but only twice a day. I cut down to only pumping twice a day in the beginning of October when Greta was around 7.5 months old and was still able to get enough to feed her for the whole day without dipping into our freezer stash for about the first month when I cut out the mid-day pumping session. While my supply has started to decrease these last few months and I'm only getting about 20 ounces total per day and Greta is eating about 30-35 ounces of breastmilk per day. I had over 1300 ounces of frozen breastmilk at one point, then donated 300 ounces, and the last 1000 ounces has started to disappear quickly these last couple months. We've started to add a little bit of formula to Greta's bottle but she is so picky she will usually refuse the bottle. When I say we are adding a little formula I mean about 1 oz of formula to 4 oz of breastmilk. The only time I've been able to get her to drink the bottle is if I use it for a dream feed and get her up while she is sleeping so she is pretty much asleep while eating. Last night was pretty rough. Greta woke up at 3am and was hungry. I tried to feed her a bottle with breastmilk and an ounce of formula and she completely refused it. She was so mad and was up for about an hour fussing in her crib. After several minutes of her crying, I tried to give her a bottle of just breastmilk but she was so mad about the previous breastmilk/formula concoction that she refused that bottle too. She ended up falling asleep around 4am and slept until 8am so she went from 11am-8am without eating. So now I know she can make it through the night without eating. It's just frustrating when you are up at 3am delirious trying to console a screaming baby. We've tried a few brands of formula so far and I have a friend giving me a sample of Good Start this week. I've heard that tastes similar to breastmilk so I'm crossing my fingers it works. I know she'll eat if she's hungry enough I just hate to waste breastmilk when I mix it and she refuses the bottle. I would like to stretch out my stash with mixing it rather than getting down to having nothing left and she has the option of drinking all formula. I think I have a picky eater on my hands. One thing I am hoping if she ever starts drinking the formula is that she sleeps a little better at night. Oh, I hope sleeping longer than 4 hours stretches are in the near future.
That's all I've got! Have a great week!




No comments:
Post a Comment