Chad and I took Greta on her first tour of a mansion last Saturday. I love touring old mansions. So far, I've visited the Biltmore in Asheville, Glensheen in Duluth, and the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. I think my favorite was the Biltmore.
The James J. Hill House was completed in 1891. It has 36,000 square feet on five floors. It includes 13 bathrooms, 22 fireplaces, 16 crystal chandeliers, and a two-story skylit art gallery. The final cost in 1891 to build the mansion was $931, 275. 01. This included furnishings, and landscaping for the three-acre estate. James J. Hill lived in the house until 1916 and his wife continued to live there until her death five years later. The family gave the home to the Roman Catholic Church of St. Paul in 1925 and it remained in their ownership until it was aquired by the Minnesota Historical Society in 1978. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961.

Chad carried Greta throughout the 1.5 hour tour and she really enjoyed it.

She had a great view

but got a little sleepy

and finally decided to just take a nap.

front view of the house


The main hallway. I believe this hallway was around 2000 sq. ft.


A few of Mary Hill's dresses. They still had tags on them.

laundry room

cedar racks for drying clothes

one of the 13 bathrooms

one of the 22 fireplaces

the formal dining area

kitchen. They stored their china in these glass cabinets.

back view of the house

breakfast room
No comments:
Post a Comment